Monday 22 June 2020

Greek Psomi Bread



This is an Ancient Greek bread, seen in that time as a superior bread as it's traditionally a white bread.  Socrates himself said that wholemeal bread was for the pigs, so Psomi was very popular and still is today!


After discovering George Psarais' Facebook group, George's Mediterranean Kitchen, I was inspired by the recipes we posted and I realised I have never tried to bake Greek Bread before, so I began reading! I read all the recipes I could find to try and make the most traditional style Psomi bread that I could so I could share it here with you.  


I have tried and tested this recipe and it works so well, but all the steps must be followed carefully for it to work.  If you're looking for a soft but crusty loaf of slightly sweetened bread then this one is perfect for you.


Ingredients:

2 sachets of dried yeast 14g
1/2 a cup (62g) of plain flour
4 floz lukewarm water This water needs to be between 25C and 35C.  
2 Tablespoons of Honey

2 Tablespoons of Milk
2 1/2 Cups (320g) Plain flour
1 Tablespoon of Salt
2 Tablespoons of Olive oil
About 2 cups of lukewarm Water


First add the dried yeast, the 1/2 cup of plain flour, honey and 4 floz lukewarm water together in a clean bowl. 

With a wooden spoon mix it together well and leave for an hour in a warm room, without covering the bowl.  This allows the yeast to ferment.  It should foam and bubble increasing in size.

It's really important to make sure the temperature of the water is between 25 and 35 degrees Celcius.  Too hot and the yeast will die and it won't work, too cold and the fermenting process will take too long and won't be ready after the hour of waiting for the right amount of fermentation.

Add the 2 /1/2 cups of flour, salt, olive and milk in a separate bowl and mix together.  

Add the yeast mixture to your flour add only as much lukewarm water to make the dough so it's no longer sticky (the dough should come off your hands and stick to the rest of the dough).

It's really important to only add a little water at a time in this second stage, as too much and it could ruin your dough.  I used very little of the 2 cups I suggested to have ready at a lukewarm temperature. 

Knead the bread really well.  I use a hand mixer with kneading tools, to make sure the mixture is worked in well.

In the bottom of a clean bowl add another tablespoon of olive oil, place your ball of dough in the bowl and gentle move it about so that all the olive oil spreads round the whole inside of the bowl.

Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with cling film and leave for one hour to prove.

Pre-heat your oven ready for the next stage.  I have a fan oven and set the temperature at 170C.

After the hour, when you go back to your dough, it will more than double in size if all has worked out for you.

Push the air our of it and then with your hands knead the dough again one last time until it is smooth.

This bread is traditionally a flat loaf so I prepare a flat baking tray, I smear the baking tray lightly in olive oil, to help prevent the bread sticking to it during the cooking process.

Place your dough on the prepared tray and leave in the oven for an hour.  It should be a really golden brown all over and the crust should be super crunchy and the inside super soft and fluffy.

2 comments:

  1. A well written recipe and well researched.You inspired now to publish my notes I gave to Waitrose a few years ago, to my group. And would you believe it they paid me for it and they took me and my wife Vasoulla to Heston Blumenthal's restaurant for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like the recipe. Amazing. I nearly went there a few years ago, but life happened. I bet it was amazing. You mean The Fat Duck right? So lucky!

      Delete